This is a sponsored post, I received this product for free to review; as always all opinions are my own, true and honest. This post contains affilate links.
When I first saw the email from Notgrass History that this curriculum was on the horizon I knew I had to get my hands on it! We’ve been doing some roadschooling while vacationing over the last few years. I had been looking for an elementary American History curriculum for my 7 year old son but wasn’t having much luck.
We’ve visited historic sites like Colonial Williamsburg and Jamestown with the entire family and living in Charleston, SC affords us many historic educational opportunities.
Being born and raised in Massachusetts and having visited all of the historical attractions and monuments throughout New England, I wanted the same type of hands-on education for my children. I also sought a simple and effective way of teaching them about these historic locations.
Many of the curriculum options I looked into didn’t touch on US History until 5th grade. I wanted to start building that foundation of knowledge now to pair with our upcoming roadschool travels.
Our Star-Spangled Story Elementary History Curriculum
Our Star-Spangled Story is a one year American history curriculum/literature course for elementary grades 1-4. Your child will meet famous and everyday Americans who have shaped the country!
The curriculum comes in two parts and is available in two separate packages. The curriculum comes in two parts, each with 45 narrative lessons and can be purchased with or without supplemental literature.
The Elementary Grade US History curriculum includes suggested hands-on activities and projects to bring history alive and takes into account the varying learning styles, abilities and levels of each individual child Parents can tailor the curriculum to their child’s ability and there are suggestions and ideas at the beginning of the main textbook.
What is Included in Our Star-Spangled Story American History
- Our Star-Spangled Story Textbook(s) Part 1 is available now, Part 2 will be shipped in December 2018 – Part 1 includes 45 lessons beginning with life in America before Europeans came and continuing through the late 1800s. Part 2 includes 45 lessons that go from the late 1800s through modern times.
- Star-Spangled Rhythms and Rhymes – This is a collection of 60 songs, poems, and dances that comes with an MP3 CD. Each selection goes along with a particular lesson in the curriculum.
- A Star-Spangled Timeline – This engaging reference is the perfect way to reinforce and review key people and events from the lessons.
- My Star-Spangled Student Workbook – This book contains two handwork sheets and one review page for each unit. (This is the only consumable book in this curriculum.)
- Our Star-Spangled Story Answer Key and Literature Guide – This book for parents contains answers for the lesson review questions in the text and the Student Workbook activities. It also includes a guide and discussion questions for the literature titles incorporated in Our Star-Spangled Story.
How to use Our Star-Spangled Story US History Curriculum
Our Star-Spangled story includes 90 lessons to spread over one full school year; thirty units with 3 lessons in each one. Easy daily instructions for using the matierals are included in the Part 1 and Part 2 textbooks.
Students can either read the lessons on their own or be read to – each lessons includes full-color photos, illustrations and art and should take about 10-15 minutes to read through.
At the end of each lesson are a list of suggested activites, somtimes a song or dance from Rhythms and Rhymes and reference to the Timeline book.
Students are expected to complete a page in the Student Workbook for each lesson and/or read additional supplemental resources or answer questions or complete a hands-on activity. Additional Student Workbooks can be purchased for $9.
Parents are encouraged to choose which activities work best for their families needs, abilities and resources.
Books Used in Our Star-Spangled Story – Literature Supplement
- Benjamin West and His Cat Grimalkin by Marguerite Henry (Units 1-4)
- Toliver’s Secret by Esther Wood Brady (Units 5-9)
- Freedom Crossing by Margaret Goff Clark (Units 10-12)
- Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder (Units 13-15)
- Mountain Born by Elizabeth Yates (Units 16-18)
- Emily’s Runaway Imagination by Beverly Cleary (Units 19-22)
- The Year of Miss Agnes by Kirkpatrick Hill (Units 23-26)
- Katy by Mary Evelyn Notgrass (Units 27-30)
Purchase Options for Our Star-Spangled Story Elementary Curriculum
- Includes the four full-color hardcover books as noted above and one consumable Student Workbook $85
- Includes eight literature titles highliting different time periods in American history $50
- Includes both the Curriculum Package and one Student Workbook (additional workbooks can be ordered for $9) and the Literature Package. $135
Notgrass History helps students and parents love history by combining easy to read narrative lessons, real letters, songs and stories from actual people, historical novels and hands-activities and projects for a variety of learning styles with a Christian worldview that upholds the Bible.
Our Star-Spangled Story Curriculum Review and Walkthrough Video: